Joan’s awards include:
- Clara Luper Service, Appreciation and Achievement Award, 2006. Presented by Clara Luper, the Mother of the Sit-In Movement.
- Purple Sash Embrace Award, 2010. Presented annually to a leader in the community who is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
- Friends of Diversity Award, 2011. From the University of Central Oklahoma’s Multicultural Institute.
- Tolerance Award, 2015, Turkish Women’s Association.
Together, Joan and Mike received the following awards:
- Interfaith Alliance Harley Venters Humanitarian Award, 2010
- Humanitarian Award, 2012, from the Oklahoma Universal Human Rights Alliance.
- Hand in Hand Award, 2013, from the Jewish Federation of Greater Oklahoma City.
- The Midwest City Martin Luther King / Clara Luper Community Service Award, 2014.
- Humanitarian Award, 2014, Oklahoma Center for Community & Justice.